More About STC...
Founded in 1953, STC is the largest professional association of technical communicators in the world. Its more than 22,000 members are dedicated to the advancement of the technical communication. The Willamette Valley Chapter (WVC) serves members in northern Oregon and southwest Washington (Region 7). We are one of the largest STC chapters with over 400 members. In 1997, we proudly accepted the Chapter Achievement Award.
Designing the future of technical communication.
- Enhance the professionalism of the members and the status of the profession.
- Provide information through publications, reports, and conferences.
- Report on new communication technologies, methods, and applications.
- Provide recognition and awards.
- Provide services to members at all levels of the Society.
- Promote the education of members and support research activities in the field.
- Give service to industry and academe.
History of STC
In 1953, two organizations concerned with improving the practice of technical communication were founded on the East Coast: the Society of Technical Writers, and the Association of Technical Writers and Editors. These organizations merged in 1957 to form the Society of Technical Writers and Editors.
In 1960, STWE merged with the Technical Publishing Society, which had been founded in 1954 on the West Coast. The merger produced the Society of Technical Writers and Publishers.
In 1971, the organization's name was changed to the Society for Technical Communication. Today, STC is the largest professional society in the world dedicated to the advancement of the theory and practice of technical communication.
-exerpted from the national STC site.
For more information visit them at www.stc.org
WVC Mailing Address
Willamette Valley Chapter Society of Technical Communication
P.O. Box 25495
Portland, OR 97298